garrays in dsp (was Re: [PD-dev] re: branch convergence)

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Thu Jun 30 12:28:49 CEST 2005

hi miller, hi devs ...

miller, have you been thinking about his?
before introducing something to devel that breaks compatibility with
stable, i'd suggest to find a common solution...

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:37:34 -0800
Miller Puckette <mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, it might be simpler to store a pointer to the t_array instead of
> one to the actual vector (a_vec) in the DSP routines.  That way,
> resizing or swapping vectors could happen without re-sorting DSP, but
> you'd still have to re-sort ig a "t_garray" got deleted or renamed.
> The cost would be one additional pointer chase in each of the
> tabread~, tabwrite~, etc., operations.
>
> I've almost finished my work of redesigning the garray/array business
> (to unify it with arrays in "structs") and hope to check it in
> today...
>
> cheers
> Miller
>
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 02:46:11PM +0100, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> > hi miller, hi devs
> >
> > > Hmm, and on that subject, I'm making changes in garray for 0.39
> > > that might point to a different approach to using arrays in DSP,
> > > not sure yet.  I'm trying to unify "regular" (named) arrays with
> > > the ones that can appear in"scalars"... which is in turn necessary
> > > for me to make any more progress on the "data" aspect of Pd...
> > working on the threaded soundfiler again, i'm investigating
> > possibilities to update pointers to g_arrays that are ->usedindsp
> >
> > since the current implementation using canvas_update_dsp() possibly
> > recompiles the dsp chain (is this correct?), i thought of a way to
> > store the pointers to the pointers to the array in
> > garray_getfloatarray() in struct t_array ... after the position of
> > the array in memory changed, it's possible to update all these
> > pointers ...
> >
> > miller ... since you are also planing to work on arrays in dsp, i'm
> > curious if you already thought of a different solution for such a
> > problem ...
> >
> > cheers ... tim

i think we could declare renaming / deleting arrays as bad coding style
and store the pointer to the t_array instead of t_array.a_vec in the
tabX objects ...
this would also mean, we should declare garray_getfloatarray
deprecated...

just my 1.4142135623730951 ¢

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs