[PD-dev] HID names, numbers and tables

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jul 10 20:12:53 CEST 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 10:35 AM, Christian Klippel wrote:

> hello all,
>
> Am Samstag 09 Juli 2005 16:24 schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:
> [...snip...]
>>
>> As for less parsing, one of these days, I'll get around to making the
>> OS-specific versions of [hid] which will just dump the data straight
>> out from the OS without any cross-platform concerns.  That might help
>> with the sensor setups.
>>
>> .hc
>
> yes, but only the parsing inside the hid object ....
> inside the os, it is still parsed. for continous controllers that
> might not be
> a big problem, but when it comes to single bits, as for buttons and
> led's,
> things become more complicated, and thus cpu-intensive.
>
> for modern computers that is no problem at all, but we should think
> about
> small, portable devices (like a pda) also.
>
> maybe there is a way to grab the data packets from hid devices
> _before_ they
> get parsed by the os? but then, using libusb seems the better way....
> and
> that is available for linux, os-x and windows so far ....

I fully support this idea, I am relatively new to embedded systems, but
I know enough to see the vast potential.  [hid] is not the place to
make this work though.  It seems that libusb is.    I think that the
same structure as [hid] could be applied to libusb: low-level C object
to access the raw data with abstractions for higher level interfaces,
like a [multio] abstraction.  But I don't think I need to tell you
that, since you gave me that idea in the first place when I was writing
[linuxevent], etc. :).

____

deliberately throwing it
away to benefit those who profit from scarcity."

        -John Gilmore