[PD-dev] compiling pd_devel_0.38 on sarge

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 11 08:42:25 CEST 2005

B. Bogart wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Well I did a little digging. for some reason (I'm not sure what I
> changed) the autoconf build for devel 0_38 works now. Using this PD
> compiles fine, but will not load any of my externals. (Do externals have
> to be compiled against devel to work in devel, meaning I need a mirror
> of all externals compiled for devel?

hi,
my 3¢
everytime i tried to build the devel-branch, it worked fine but i
couldn't load any externals.
including the ones that come with pd (fiddle~,...) which were definitely
compiled with the devel-version.
anyhow, what normally helped was a complete check out of the
pd-directory /cvsroot/pure-data/pd and not just /cvsroot/pure-data/pd/src.
make sure you are calling the bootstrap-script and each other step
(configure, make) from .../pd and NOT from .../pd/src

apart from that:
i generally think it is a very bad idea to abandon to autoconf system
just because.
while it certainly has its problems, it is just the standard way of how
to compile C-thingies on linux (which is the only platform i can speak
for, although i think it applies to any un*x)
i am not saying that scons is bad (nor is ant nor cook nor jam nor odin
nor foo and nor bar). i guess it is just about having the same build
system for all branches of pd.
but i don't want to write on in order to not start a flame war again.
probably i am just thinking of volunteering to do the autoconf support
for pd-devel.

mfg.ads.r
IOhannes