[PD-dev] compiling pd_devel_0.38 on sarge

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 12 09:44:37 CEST 2005

Tim Blechmann wrote:
>>Anyhow devel still does not load any externals, does look in the right
>>place but cannot find any of the *_setup functions. Nothing else
>>stands out in the -verbose output. I've been doing "./bootstrap.sh &&
>>autoconf && ./configure && make clean && make" each time...
>
> well, rethinking what i said and rereading thomas's mail ... maybe you
> can't run both stable and devel on a machine, that has one of the
well stable is in my PATH (/usr/local/bin) and i can run instances of
pd-devil and pd-angel simultaneously at the same time.
both are able to load externals compiled against some stable version
(not entirely sure which, but i guess it was as recent as 0.38-4)

putting devel in the path didn't work out of the box (not finding the
correct pd-gui), so i haven't tested this combination.

> binaries in the search path ... since the externals link back to the pd
> binary ... possibly to the wrong one ...
wow, real magic!

#>ldd zexy.pd_linux
         libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0xb7fa8000)
         libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0xb7e73000)

so what do you mean exactly by "linking back to (the wrong) pd" ?

> just a guess, though ... tim

ok, the external-loading problem has been the same for me, now that i
tried to get into it again.

what i finally did was:
#> cd .../pd
#> mv src src.bak
#> cvs up -d
#> bootstrap
%note: i changed the hardcoded versions of aclocal and automake to match
the ones i installed onmy machine (to be precise, i changed them to
"aclocal" instead of "aclocal-1.9" (and similar for automake); see below)
#> ./convigure
#> make
#> ./bin/pd

and i really tried to remove each leftover from older configures/builds.

i have automake1.7 installed on my system.

my advice for now is to do a complete fresh checkout of pd.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes