[PD-dev] autobuild for pd-devel

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 12 09:56:10 CEST 2005

Tim Blechmann wrote:

>>but i don't want to write on in order to not start a flame war again.
>>probably i am just thinking of volunteering to do the autoconf support
>>for pd-devel.
>
> what a wonderful idea :-) ... although the scons system is nearly
> finished and it would be a waste of resources to maintain two build
> systems ...

for me it is more a waste of resources if i need python installed on my
system in order to get pd compiled.

anyhow....

---> before i really try to see through it, i'd like to know, why the
autobuild system has gone so overcomplicated. <---
(this is the main question in this mail)
is there any reason, why a normal person who just wants to compile
pd-devel on their machine, needs automake installed ?

IMO, building should consist of 2-3 steps:
./configure && make
and optionally "make install"

this means, that people would basdically need "make" and a compiler
installed (and of course a set of "essential" tools like sed and echo)

no-one should be forced to have to go through the struggels of
automake1.7 vs automake1.8 and the like but those, who build the build
system (which boils down to 1-3 persons)

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes