[PD-dev] scons and devel_39..may be OT

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Fri Jul 15 22:57:59 CEST 2005

> so i have been trying to use scons for a while now and have had little
> success compiling.
basically, go to the ./pd/ directory and type scons

> i'm using debian and i got scons as an apt(is that a problem)
no...

> here's what i did.
>
>  scons
> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> '/home/tom/pdcvs/devel39/pd/config.log':
<snip>
permission denied ... are you sure, that you have set the permissions
correctly?

> also while i'm here....
> i did a compile of devel38 and had a weird problem where the [noise~]
> object worked but not the [osc~]
> then i took out the fftw flag from my ./configure and it now seems to
> work fine.
well, i think this was a clash when using both the fftw and the threaded
soundfiler ... i probably won't rewrite the threaded soundfiler for 0.39
... i rewrote it for 0.38 and would probably have to rewrite it for
0.40-1.00 ... and since there will be an array external working for
xsample, vasp, py, that _will_ be threaded, why will pd need features of
a professional software?

> where can i find information about what these flag actually do...ie
> fftw, aswell as icc, atomic operations, lockfree, gathreadlocks etc.
> thanks
fftw: replacing mayerfft algorithm with fftw algorithms, between 5 and
10 times faster for an fft
icc: compile pd with the intel c compiler (not recommended)
atomic operations: some atomic operations for stack counting ...
implemented to make threaded messaging threadsafe.
lockfree: use the lockfree fifo implementation (improvement for thread
synchronisation)
gathreadlocks: i removed them, since they are horribly broken due to
miller's changes between 0.38 and 0.39

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs