[PD-dev] proposal: postdsp callbacks

ClaudiusMaximus gloriousclaudiusmaximus at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 17 10:05:04 CEST 2005

Miller Puckette wrote:
> My own interest in doing this is that it would allow using tilde objects
> to treat video. I'd make special tilde objects to read lines out of a
> pdp buffer and write them back in; then just insert any DSP chain into a
> pdp chain and make computer music with the pixels...
>
> cheers
> Miller

I have been converting images to sound with Gridflow, it's quite fun:

grid in

[#cast float32]

[# / 255]

[# - 0.5]

[#export_list]

[listprepend 0]

[send $0-mysound]

[table $0-mysound 128]

with various logic to extract different regions/channels of images to
send to the table.

The only problem is that I have to set the audio buffer size very high
(370ms) to avoid clicks when each frame is generated.  I don't know if
using [any] and [delay] to stagger the computation through time would
work - ie, not crash ;) - I guess I'll have to try it.

I did a live set for http://leplacard.org on Thursday using video->sound
conversion, which can be downloaded (together with the Pd+Gridflow
patches used in the performance) from:

http://www.archive.org/audio/audio-details-db.php?collectionid=ClaudiusMaximus_-_LePlacard_Live_2005-07-14&collection=opensource_audio

or (same page)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L31364F6B

A much simpler (and commented!) implementation of this technique is
attached, whereas the performance patch contains quite a few other
things which I haven't bothered to document.  Warning: the output is loud!