[PD-dev] Re:[PD] More Flext compilation problems

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jul 18 20:19:22 CEST 2005

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Guenter Geiger wrote:

> So whats the point that you want to make with that ?
> I understand Miller that he doesn't want to export this file, because the
> whole point on Pd is that this should be handled differently. I didn't
> know that when I started using g_canvas.h, others followed to do so and
> so I feel responsible for having started this (and, in fact having delayed
> in some way the acceptance of the data structures).

No, the problem with the "data structures" is that they are insufficient
to create good GUIs. Then, one could speculate about how everybody could
have collaborated on improving the "data structures", but it would've
required approval from Miller. Thus g_canvas.h was the easiest path.

Direct mapping between structure elements and visual characteristics is
quite limiting. Imagine if instead each "data structure" had one (or more)
associated abstractions that could process the fields' values before they
are displayed or before the user's actions modify the fields' values. This
would allow for much richer behaviour.

,-o--------o--------o--------o-. ,---. irc.freenode.net #dataflow |
`-o------------o-------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |