[PD-dev] proposed new "list" object

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 21 06:39:50 CEST 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Miller Puckette wrote:

> On the other hand, perhaps "list" should be taken to mean "list append"
> and to just prepend a "list" selector should be some more special name
> like "list listify".  Seems to me that's more ugly than having to use
> "append" to store lists, but maybe there's a third way somewhere...

I think that having "append" as the default behaviour is au contraire
something quite clever in that context. That is, _if_ the whole [list]
thing is a good idea, then just [list] should be like [list append] or
[list prepend] so that a bang just outputs the stored list, to be more
like [f] and [symbol] and [pointer], although a list is not an atomtype
and thus it isn't *that* important to be consistent there.

,-o--------o--------o--------o-. ,---. irc.freenode.net #dataflow |
`-o------------o-------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |