[PD-dev] proposed new "list" object

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jul 21 21:32:50 CEST 2005

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>>Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>well, just to defend myself (not that there would be a real need, but
>>seeing half of zexy's objects vanish within [list] is both a pleasure
>>and a pain, so i feel like i must say at least *some*thing), the
>>original (and BIG) idea of iemmatrix is to be a kind of "matlab/octave
>>for pd"; this explains the naming of the objects and the 1-based
>>indexing.
>

> the original and big idea of GridFlow is to be a kind of APL for Pd. This
alright, this had to come...

> explains the naming and behaviour of some objects
> (#fold,#scan,#inner,#outer) but it doesn't explain why all indices in
> GridFlow start at 0, even the numbering of dimensions (in a picture,
> 0=rows, 1=columns, 2=channels).
>
> How much did you aim for compatibility with matlab/octave and why?

my intentions were not very religious.
i just tried to not disturb people coming from matrix-manipulation
background (and most people at our in institute that deal with matrices
do it with matlab/octave and not with a background in C).

as for naming: whenever there is a matrix-operation that makes it into
iemmatrix, i open octave and look how it is called there. the
corresponding object will bear the same name (if possible)

mfg.adr.
IOhannes