[PD-dev] First attempt at "list" object uploaded

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Sun Jul 24 21:51:40 CEST 2005

hi all,

Thanks for all the discussion, which changed my mind on a number of points.

I've uploaded a first attempt at a "list" object to CVS...  see the help
window, which also provides some examples.  So far, I implemented these

    list append - append a list to another
    list prepend - prepend a list to another
    list split - first n elements to first outlet, rest to second outlet
    list trim - trim off "list" selector

I'm not sure whether to keep the "list <function>" format or not now; the
list seems divided over it and so am I.  The advantage is it's the least
visually cluttered way to name them.  I can't use "append", "prepend", or
"split" as names in their own right (they're already used, and using namespaces
to alias well-known names would cause endless confusion!)  The advantage to
Iohannes's suggestion (list_append, etc.) is that external objects could supply
list_whatever objects that could belong naturally to the series.

I think I have an adequate way to deal with non-list messages; they're converted
to lists on input, and the "list trim" object can be used to explicitly convert
back.  I still think it's better style to use "true" lists wherever possible,
but this will probably never find general agreement.  My only advice is that,
if you want to use non-list messages, just never, ever name a file "bang"!

cheers
Miller