[PD-dev] First attempt at "list" object uploaded

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jul 24 22:51:54 CEST 2005

Hallo,
Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:
> I think I have an adequate way to deal with non-list messages; they're converted
> to lists on input, and the "list trim" object can be used to explicitly convert
> back.

[list trim] sounds like a very good idea. I made a little check and
replaced all [prepend]s in Memento with [list prepend] and [list trim]
and it's working very well in a short test. As I will need the
prepend/trim combination several times, this is ideally solved with a
little abstraction.

> I still think it's better style to use "true" lists wherever possible,
> but this will probably never find general agreement.

One reason I found for needing "false" lists in Memento is because I
dynamically generate messages for other selectors. For example the
pool external, which stores key/value pairs, requires a message like
"set a 1" in its first inlet to store a value "1" at key "a". Using
"list set a 1" in this case does not work. An even simpler example
might be to generate a "set 42" message to set a float atom. In this
case, "list set 42" also will not set the float atom to 42. However
with [list trim] this can be made to work. (Of course this example is
rather academic.)

> My only advice is that, if you want to use non-list messages, just
> never, ever name a file "bang"!

Hhm, not that I would want to do that, but why is that so? And what
would happen?

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "plak" @ http://footils.org/cms/show/44