[PD-dev] First attempt at "list" object uploaded

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 25 12:35:20 CEST 2005

Hallo,
Guenter Geiger hat gesagt: // Guenter Geiger wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > I meant, that to generate a message "set 42" in front of a float atom
> > one would normally not use [list prepend set] or similar but a simple
> > [set $1( message.
>
> If there would be a dollar argument that takes a whole list, this
> could be solved very elegantly, like:
>
> [set $@(
>
> just builds a message that starts with set and then comes the list.

Well, a float atom just accepts one single argument anyways, so $@ is
not needed in that case.

Generating arbitrary length "set" messages is possible with [list
prepend set]---[list trim] or [route list]. The $@ however could be
useful if you want to use "send-messages" like for example:

  [list with unknown length(

  |           [f $0]
  |           |
  |           [makefilename pd-%d-subpatch]
  |           |
  |           [list $1(
  [list prepend]

  [;
  $1 obj 10 10 myobj $@ (

I don't see a way this can be done except by using something like
[send13] or [sprinkler], however often there are some other ways to
work around a problem like this anyways (e.g. "add2" and "list
serialize").

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "plak" @ http://footils.org/cms/show/44