[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1263139 ] Startup messages too verbose

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Aug 18 19:42:45 CEST 2005

Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Personally I will just edit the verbosity out anyway in my version of
> Zexy. But maybe it's a more general problem: Zexy is one of the bigger
> libraries, and it alone produces 337 lines of output on startup (yes,
> I counted). But other externals also send their messages along on load
> (mine do, too) so with a growing number of externals the startup
> message overload will be even bigger. I'm not really sure, what to do
> about this, but it can get annoying, don't you think?

well yes, naturally.

so i see 2 options:
the dumb one: use monolithic zexy ;-)
the clever one: only load those objects/libraries you really need.

again: zexy should not produce 337 lines of verbosity on startup.
if used in a monolithic way, it will produce 10 lines of a splashscreen
(no, i have not counted ;-)); if you are using the broken up version you
will get as much lines as you need ;-) i cannot imagine that you are
using 43 distinct zexy object-classes in your patch.

mfg.ad.sr
IOhannes