[PD-dev] Audio API and low-level Pd

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.de
Sat Aug 20 08:30:03 CEST 2005

> I'm trying to understand Pd's low-level I/O but I'm
> very confused. I think I've narrowed it down to
> s_stuff.h and d_dac.c but I'm not sure. Can anybody
the api-independent code is located in s_audio.c ... the apis have
specific source files like s_audio_jack.c ...

> help me with this and is there any Pd code with
> extensive comments?
pd and extensive comments ... are you joking?

i'd suggest, you should read the audio-api extensions i introduced in
devel ... i worked on jack and portaudio and wrote a native asio
support, possibly there are slightly more comments than in the rest of
the code ...

> I don't mind using another
> low-level API... for example I'm very familiar with
> the   I/O of writing Pd externals but I need to
> starting writing stand-alone Windows programs. I'm
well, if you _only_ need audio i/o, i'd go for portaudio ... easy to
write, although it might not provide an api for any feature, you could
access on the driver ...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs