[PD-dev] Re: pure devil (fwd)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Aug 23 17:58:57 CEST 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 ix at replic.net wrote:

> > 1. When the pointer device you are using is imprecise, you can't even
> >    hit an inlet 90% of the time. For example, ever tried patching on a
> >    touchscreen?
>
> or a trackpoint, ball mouse, vnc/rdesktop. do you have any
> suggestions... auto-zoom the objects on mouseover, a la the MacOSX
> "Dock" ?

Fisheye view: the centre of the patch looks bigger than the periphery...
And by centre I mean centre of attention, which the user gets to pick.

> > more feature of PureData gets used. It's like consumer society: we
> > have a duty to eat bread in order to justify the baking of the bread.
> eh..you mean starvin would 'really show that consumer society' ?

heh. No, I was paraphrasing Bertrand Russell who was writing about that in
the 1920's. He meant (I believe) that in a society of abundance, needs
have to be invented in order to keep a high level of employment. If people
slow down on spending then the economy enters a recession.

> well, i abolished scrollbars in my PD GUI, as documented at http://whats-your.name/pd/

I see. You are replacing them by exclusive usage of the scrollwheel?

> that would be inconsistent: hold shift to move a slider,

Hey. The shift key is reserved for adding to a selection. Well, I see that
you have changed that as well, but I think that the use of the shift key
for doing that is pretty standard. I'd prefer not to touch that.

> so i guess user-settable pref is on order here..

Right.

> yep, my PD GUI uses Esc... but i should stop calling it a PD GUI, since
> it can only be used via netsend right now (HINT HINT!! ;)

mea culpa.