[PD-dev] assimilating (annihilating) seperate dir-structure

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Wed Aug 24 11:37:48 CEST 2005

> > why i rejected your patches ... you haven't given any good reason,
> > why they should be incorporated ...
>
> well the main reason im being pedantic here is because a bug that
> doesnt affect YOU is no reason to revert a fix (unless you own the
> branch..which is why ive renamed it ;) but this is a good time to
> discuss pd's sordid dir structure in general:
right ... this bug doesn't affect me, actually it doesn't affect anyone,
who is using a directory structure that doesn't interfere with the
fhs...

> 1   obj/ exists so why not use it? (or ask sourceforge admin to remove
> the dir)
we _use_ it, but for the objects only ... ever had a look at miller's
tarballs?

> 2   src/../bin/ could likely be the install dir (esp on OSX/Windoze)
> and thus cause SCons errors or causing MSVC to think the binaries are
> up to date when theyre not, similar things have even happened with
> autotools..its an endless source of build issues
well, why install it, if the files are already there?

> 3   lets kill the pd dir (remember redhat annoyingly installing half
> its stuff into /opt! apache did away with its own structure and xorg
> did away with /usr/X11R6 in 7.0..) and put bin in /usr/bin, docs in
> /usr/share/doc/pd, externs in /usr/lib/pd/
i'm trying to stick to miller's directory structure as close as
possible... it's not clean either ... files shouldn't be in ./lib, but
in ./share, but i don't want to have any annoying bug reports, just
because the wrong files are run (i've experienced them "devel doesn't
load my externals", when putting the binaries in ./src rather than
./bin)

mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs