[PD-dev] SCons under MinGW, and Building PD from Source

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sun Aug 28 18:42:04 CEST 2005

> My day job give me access to VC 7.0 but it appears that no one in
> PD-Dev land is using this to build PD? All web and list resources seem
> to point to using MinGW for building. Since this was the most
> documented route I went this direction.
well, currently there are two branches of pd ... miller's official
branch, that's built with msvc and devel, that's built with scons ...

> I had a working msys and mingw system. I already had python 2.4
> installed, but have no experience with SCons. I think this is where I
> am failing, as I am quite sure I should be editing some SCons file
> somewhere to match my system.
i haven't tried to compile devel with scons ... carmen adapted the
scons file, so that it should work ...

using scons is very easy, since it's a combination of configure and
make. run scons -h for available options...

> $ python /mingw/bin/scons install
> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
> Checking for sin() in C library m... no
> can't find Math library
>

> Its dying on line 148 on the pd/src/SConscript.
well, i suppose the math library is not in the search paths ... but i'm
not really familiar with mingw ....

> Also, if you have gotten this far, Is anyone building PD with VC 7?
> Not just externals (which I can get to build, with an existing install
> of PD) but all of PD land? If someone does and is willing would you
> mind putting your project file into the devel branch in CVS, I am sure
> a great many folks would appreciate the jumping off point.
are msvc project files really portable? i once tried to use thomas
grill's msvc project file for devel on my machine ... it would have
been easier to recreate the whole project from scratch ...
i think it would be way better to try to get scons running on all
platforms properly ...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs