[PD-dev] Keyspan serial control

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Aug 31 14:35:59 CEST 2005

Hi Jasper,

What camera did you get?

I'm been using Canon and Elmo serial control cameras in PD the last
couple months.

For canon and elmo the protocol documentation states the raw bytes one
needs to send to the camera. I thought this was the norm so I'm suprised
your getting anything out of a terminal program, since I've been no
other cameras that consider the ascii meaning of each byte as significant.

Anyhow thats beside the point.

When using the comport object in PD you have to send each byte as a
decimal integer. So you only send it messages from 0-255. It is a very
low level interface as things like "\n" are just anyther number from
0-255. Marc Lavallee has written a package called ascii that takes 0-255
and makes symbols and lists out of it, it also takes symbols and lists
and turns it back into dec bytes.

My pan/tilt command looks like this:

129, 1, 6, 2, 18, 18, 4, 4, 1, 0, 1, 11, 0, 0, 255

where each "," sends a different message one after the other.

I have used the keyspan on OSX using comport and it works fine. I used
the version in the CVS in the iem folder, but It does not have a darwin
makefile, but copying the makefile directly from the PD externals
documentation worked fine. Also since your keyspan is not a ttyS* you'll
need to set the comport device name manually. Check out the help patch
on how to do this.

I was thinking of releasing an interface abstraction for this elmo
camera...

Good luck.

b/.