[PD-dev] osx packages build question

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Sep 14 18:33:35 CEST 2005

A few questions:

On Sep 1, 2005, at 8:52 PM, james tittle wrote:

> hey everyone,
>
> ...well, finally did it!  It was tough headscratching work, but now
> I've learned a ton about basic shell programming and regex and such,
> so it's worth it ;-)
>
> ...Just committed a new Makefile++ and resource file to packages which
> allow building the whole shebang via gcc4.0 & using tcl/tk 8.4.10 (or
> newer) :-)

Why are you making packages?  Or do you mean a .app?  If you have a
Pd.app, you don't need an installer package.  Instead of creating yet
another build system for Pd, how about we try to maintain the existing
one?

> This really opens the door for the following releases:  devel_0_38,
> devel_0_39, devel_0_39+carmen's
> stuff+tcl/tk8.5+tcl/tkextensions+gridflow/ruby.framework, etc., but
> also it's time to really talk about (and fix) the unified distro,

What was wrong with the existing build system?  All of that stuff could
be included in the current build system without much difficulty, AFAIK.
  Its just that no one has done the work.

> like what new stuff to include, how to fix up path/startup entry
> preferences, whether or not we should put everything inside the .app
> (thinking here about example patches that need to be opened, but can't
> be because the app package is not visible in the open file dialog)...

I feel like this issue has been discussed a lot.  There are two ways of
dealing with the problem you mention.  The Help Menu (for OSX only) and
a dynamically generated symlink.

> ...I'm also curious as to how up-to-date the "build" directory files
> are?  Fr'instance, I know zexy's been updated & split up into parts
> recently, as has the iem stuff...

Its relatively up-to-date, but I am not going to hound people to
maintain their code anymore.  Feel free to do so.  Besides IOhannes,
the IEM don't seem to like to work with the CVS build system, among
other things.

.hc