[PD-dev] uninitialized values bug

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 30 09:56:16 CEST 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > What's the purpose of providing a diff if everyone who wants the
> > feature can also get devel-pd with very little additional effort ?
> The reason for providing patches/diffs was discussed a lot on
> pd~convention: It makes it much easier to get bugfixes etc. into the
> most used version of Pd, that is MSP Pd - both for Miller and for
> users who for whatever reason don't want to or can switch to
> devel_039, DesireData, PureEvil or so.

I have a few questions for everybody.

What's my incentive to serve those users?

What were the assumptions underlying the discussion at PureData
Convention? Are those assumptions valid?

Why shouldn't more users use devel_0_39 ?

Why should I make efforts to contribute to a branch I don't plan to
continue to use, and that I wish gets replaced by devel_0_39 in day-to-day
use?

> But your changes for uninitialized values sound like a simple bugfix,
> where a patch would be possible and a nice thing to do.

That's cool, it means that you just found one nice thing that you could do
for Miller and normal users who have a compiler but don't want to check
out devel_0_39 and enjoy applying diffs that Miller hasn't applied
himself.