[PD-dev] uninitialized values bug

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Fri Sep 30 12:16:01 CEST 2005

> > well, if someone cares, he can read the diffs and create a patch
> > against HEAD (that's easy, since there is a pd-cvs list) ...
> >
> > but there are people, who don't care ...
> >

> oh wow!
> seems like i can finally get rid of the "mr. rude and grumpy" award...

i didn't wanted to sound rude ... but personally i don't have any
ambitions to fix miller's pd, since it just takes time and i don't
benefit from it, since i don't use miller's pd ...

> weirdly enough, i just yesterday started to track down and fix some
> "uninitialized values in strcmp()" issue (running pd with valgrind
> reported a lot of problems), but i didn't get far because people kept
> coming into my office and asking this and that...
> so it seems that this might already be fixed.

i suppose you can ignore most of the errors coming from structures like:

while (s2 = *s1)
{
	s1 = something(s2);
}

lots of these structures are used in pd's code and i somehow have the
feeling, that valgrind doesn't handle them properly, since the
equivalent structure:

while (1)
{
	if(!s1) break;
	s1 = something(s2);
}

doesn't seem to throw this error ... i looked into this a few weeks
ago ...

cheers ... t

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs