[PD-dev] GridFlow documentation fundraising.

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Tue Oct 4 11:14:07 CEST 2005

On 4 Oct 2005, at 09:24, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

>> This is indeed what I'm trying to point out. Javascript is
>> underestimated all
>> the time as a language, and having it in Max is a paradigm shift,
>> IMHO.
>
> Javascript is AFAIK already used to write a large part of
> Mozilla/FireFox,
> no?

It is indeed. But most people ignore Javascript as a 90's webby thingy.

> And what qualifies something to be called a paradigm shift?

When that something changes the nature and process of the work people
do with the framework dramatically. Before, I worked in abstractions
and tried to find other people's externals that might do what I wanted;
I tried to study C. Now, I enjoy myself and write ruby objects. Not
big, not clever, but I'm getting more work done than I ever did in a
year, in a month.

That's a paradigm shift as far as I'm concerned.

> Connecting to C libraries isn't automatic, but there's a Ruby/DL tool
> that
> can help. For C++ there is SWIG, which currently can't export towards
> Pd,
> but can export towards Ruby and Python and such.

SWIG is still hard to use IMO, but it would be great to have a small
SWIG/DL tutorial for Ruby/Puredata, maybe...

> Pd is a lot different because its messages never have return values,
> which
> is something SWIG can't deal with. This requires reorganisations and/or
> workarounds. What's a float(*)(float) in C becomes an extra outlet
> _and_
> an extra inlet in Pd, and that's only if you aren't expected to change
> the
> pointer in the meanwhile, because that'd mean you're screwed.

Yeah. Wow.

> Ruby and Python have their own interesting libraries, which are not
> available in regular C/C++.

Quite.

Does that mean we agree that it's a good thing? ;-)

# David Plans Casal

problem.each { |day|
	assert_nil(spoon)
}