[PD-dev] uninitialized values bug

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Oct 6 06:44:58 CEST 2005

On Sep 30, 2005, at 3:56 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>> What's the purpose of providing a diff if everyone who wants the
>>> feature can also get devel-pd with very little additional effort ?
>> The reason for providing patches/diffs was discussed a lot on
>> pd~convention: It makes it much easier to get bugfixes etc. into the
>> most used version of Pd, that is MSP Pd - both for Miller and for
>> users who for whatever reason don't want to or can switch to
>> devel_039, DesireData, PureEvil or so.
>
> I have a few questions for everybody.
>
> What's my incentive to serve those users?
>
> What were the assumptions underlying the discussion at PureData
> Convention? Are those assumptions valid?
>
> Why shouldn't more users use devel_0_39 ?
>
> Why should I make efforts to contribute to a branch I don't plan to
> continue to use, and that I wish gets replaced by devel_0_39 in
> day-to-day
> use?

Many people here make contributions to aspects of Pd that they never
use.  That part of what makes it an great community.  I have
contributed a little to the devel branch and I have _never_ used it.
But I figured it was easy enough for me to do, and it'd take someone
else much longer, so I went ahead and did it.

But I can definitely tell you now that any interest I might have had in
helping the devel/inpure/whatever branch is rapidly evaporating. You
guys need to come down off your high horses, you are all using Miller's
Pd.  Most of the code in that branch was still written by Miller.

.hc