[PD-dev] uninitialized values bug

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Oct 7 17:24:47 CEST 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, David Plans Casal wrote:

> In any case you guys (main devs, contributors to core) need to sort it
> out,

it's exactly why I'm putting it on the table. If we just continue to
pretend that there is no problem, then the problem will continue to cause
harm and something will blow up at the wrong moment (that is, too late).

> because what really isn't good is that little people like me, who might
> help and contribute what they can,

How are you little? Little as in not enough of a programmer? or little as
in occasional contributor? If you wish to be more than an occasional
contributor, there is a lot that can be done while not being a C
programmer. A lot can be done on documentation, promotion, testing,
organising, etc.

> I've never minded contributing patches to a main release manager as
> opposed to having totally direct access to source, and at the same time
> I can see the value of devel branch. Is there really no functional way
> the two can feed each other without trouble?

There are contributions that many people want and that somehow Miller
doesn't want. The number of those contributions is increasing. This causes
the divergence. To stop the divergence, either Miller has to follow, or
people have to stop coding things that Miller refuses to take. If Miller
doesn't follow, then I don't know why I'd even try stopping devel from
diverging.