[PD-dev] "abusing" pure data

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Oct 17 09:17:06 CEST 2005

Michael Idziorek wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I have been looking for some existng gui i can adapt in order to create a
> simple
> user interface for my purposes.
>
> I wonder if Pure Data would be able to meet my requirements.
>
> All i need is the following:
>
> - Place different (predefined) objects with (predefined numbers of) inputs &
> outputs
> - Connect the in and outputs together.
> - Set a set of options for the objects (the number and caption of the
> options depends on the chosen obejct)
> - And of course Save the whole thing for later post-processing.
>
> Can anybody tell me if PD would be a valid choice, please?
> However I was unable to find any alternative...

i do not see any problems when using pd for your purposes.
you can control object creation/deletion/... via messages (see
http://puredata.info/community/pdwiki/PdInternalMessages for details).
"options" are usually just messages to objects changing their internal
state (or creation arguments if you know the "options" at creation time)

apart from that, i wonder why people would call that an "abuse" of pd.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes