[PD-dev] [Fwd: [PD] pd-0.39-0: problem with midiout]

federico xaero at inwind.it
Wed Oct 19 21:24:11 CEST 2005

i guess those problem are overcome switching to the ALSA MIDI
programming interface.
what system does pd uses to send midi (with midiout)?
does it uses a rawmidi device?
(http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/rawmidi.html)
does it uses the sequencer interface?
(http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/seq.html)

time ago, i coded a small app (a multi-function (midi)message
translator) and the only way to send sysex is to use specific sysex
functions.
here is a piece of code from this app (that sends a system exclusive
message):

     case Item::T_SYSEX:
          snd_seq_ev_clear(ev);
          snd_seq_ev_set_sysex(ev, out.sys_n->length(),
                     out.sys_n->render(out.ch,out.d1,out.d2));
          snd_seq_ev_set_subs(ev);
          snd_seq_ev_set_direct(ev);
          snd_seq_ev_set_source(ev, out_port[0]);
          break;

so, it is possible that to send system exclusive messages, midiout
should parse its input (mean: check for its input, when a sequence of
bytes starts with 0xf0 and ends with 0xf7)

you can find the full source code of this app here:
http://xaero.ath.cx/cms

it is called mTransformer

cheers
federico