[PD-dev] Re: externals/build SConscript

carmen ix at replic.net
Tue Nov 1 05:18:24 CET 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 08:05:01PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Its unfortunate that we have two build systems that do the exact same
> thing.

not true..the 'make' script builds single C sources which have been aliased into the build/src/ dir, the SCons script builds those as well as various libraries that i liked. theres no extra work to support both if you put the files in build/src..

some systems have python and not autotools, and vice versa..

> It would be nice if all that effort went into one build system
> that was really good, instead of making a new one that duplicates the
> old one.

not true if by 'old one' you mean /externals/build/{platform} (3 seperate systems) - but it is duplicating/replacing build scripts of individual libraries, which could get out of synch over time...somehow SConscripts seemed more robust than scripting a 'make' via exec()..but given gentoo's very successful approach in doing that, it could be considered..

but really, read the cyclone makefile and tell me you know what its doing! i had to rewrite it in SCons just to figure out how everything fit together..

>  This is all stuff that was covered years ago in the
> makefiles.

could you type 'make' once and get zexy, cyclone, pdcontainer, ann, pmpd, unauthorized, OSCx, etc? i dont think you could..

> But I guess that's open source.  People are welcome to do whatever
> floats their boat. I am certainly not going to stop anyone.

me neither :) feel free to add iemlib or anything else you think is missing..an ebuild to grab all the dependencies would be nice as well..