[PD-dev] Re: externals/build SConscript

carmen ix at replic.net
Tue Nov 1 18:04:13 CET 2005

> But its just a shame that work is going into a new build system
> that is just duplicating existing functionality...the system isn't
> perfect, but that doesn't mean it can't be made better
> without being totally discarded.

but thats what youre doing right? is /packages/darwin_app/Makefile not another 'build system'?

this makes 3..one more, and pd can hit the road! vroom vroom!

> And yes, there should be a separate C++ build system.

other places you are suggesting to unify them, yet here you are saying we should have seperate systems? that can't be..since C++ and C have happily coexisted for years in all of the 'make' and make-replacements i can think of ...

> what's in packages/darwin_app/Makefile is just basic makefile stuff, so
> it will be an easy port to Linux and MinGW/Windows.

considering build system #1 (make) and #2 (SCons) already run on various platforms, and #3 like #1 is also using 'make', this should be no problem. but maybe instead of having /packages/platform and /externals/build and /externals/build/platform we should just have a /build, and there should be options for 'just core' 'just externals' 'everything', etc...