[PD-dev] Re: externals/build SConscript

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 2 09:31:12 CET 2005

another one throwing oil on the fire...

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> We could discuss (again) if libraries are good or bad, however even
>> scons tries to build as much as possible as single externals (e.g. it
>> builds Zexy that way).  Scons however makes it easier to also get
>> libraries into the build and as Tim noted it also can be used to build
>> C++/flext externals like PDContainer or pool.
>

> externals/build already builds zexy as single externals.
> packages/darwin_app/Makefile builds libs as well, like pmpd.  Most of
> what's in packages/darwin_app/Makefile is just basic makefile stuff, so
> it will be an easy port to Linux and MinGW/Windows.

i just want to note, that when building zexy as separate externals
instead of one big library you are _not_ getting all the functionality.

i am sorry for that but it cannot be helped: the problem is as simple as
finding an alphanumeric name for the setup-function of [>~].
(yes there are abstractions for [>~], but there are serious problems on
some platforms with forbidden characters like ">"; and the abstractions
are less high-performance than the externals are/would be; and they have
slightly different behaviour!)

i once addressed thes problems (solutions should be simple enough), but
since nobody answered that mail, i guess it is of no importance.

mfg.adsr.
IOhannes