[PD-dev] Versions for MinGW setup

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 15 17:16:34 CET 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Georg Holzmann wrote:

> Hallo!
>
>> Could anyone tell me the details of their MinGW build setup?  For
>> example, which versions of pthreads, etc. that you are using.  I am
>> both
> I just managed to do the right linking with pthread - but for an
> external and not for main pd ...
>
> for pthread you simply have to link against pthreadGC.dll
> (with MSVC you link against pthreadVC.dll - which means Visual C - so
> if you don't have pthreadGC.dll you also have to install this dll,
> because it's not included in the pd bin folder ... pthead.h is
> included in the src directory of the pd windows installation ...)

Yeah, I compiled the latest version, 2.7.0, and apparently there is a
change in the DLL format so its not binary compatible.  Therefore, I
got pthreadGC2.dll.  Anyone used this new version with Pd?  Shall I
just stick with the old version?

> BTW: could it be a problem, if you compile pd with MSVC (= link
> against pthreadVC.dll) and an threaded external with MinGW (link
> against pthreadGC.dll) ?
> I only tried to also link the external in MinGW against pthreadVC.dll,
> but got a crash - so I think it should be okay ... ?

This won't be a problem.  The Windows installer build system will be
all based on MinGW, compiled at one time, therefore, they'll all use
the same DLL.

____

this we should do freely and generously.

                          - Benjamin Franklin