[PD-dev] rebuilding the menus

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 15 19:45:51 CET 2005

What I was proposing here is a reorg of how all of the menus are built
in pd.tk/u_main.tk.  Right now, they are kind of scattered and have
been built up over time, so they are stretched into an old framework.
If the entire menu structure is laid out in one place, with one section
per platform, its much easier to tailor the menus to each platforms
guidelines, making Pd act like a native app.  For example:

if { $tcl_platform(platform) == "windows" }  {
	menu .mbar.edit.preferences
	menu .mbar.help.aboutpd
} elseif { $tcl_platform(os) == "Darwin" } {
	menu .mbar.apple.aboutpd
	menu .mbar.apple.preferences
} else {
	menu .mbar.edit.preferences
	menu .mbar.help.aboutpd
}

I still think that meta stuff is still a great idea.  The recursive
function that I wrote to build the Help menu could easily be extended
to look for that meta info, so in that sense, there is some progress
along those lines.  I think the first thing that needs to happen with
the meta project is to define what meta data we are tracking in the
help files.

I think its time for a wiki on this, then we can add the info from
previous discussions and move forward.  I am currently immersed in the
build system stuff, so I'd appreciate it if someone else took the lead
on that.  It sounds like you two (Ben and Matju) are on it.

.hc