[PD-dev] proposed fix for objects named with +,-,*,^, etc.

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 16 10:31:44 CET 2005

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> i admit that the hex-encoding is inefficient (in terms of bits) and
>> non-readable by humans.
>> however, it is very simple and consistent.
>

> Well, I just ran into the problem while getting iemmatrix objects to
> compile as individual files, funny enough.  So I guess you've been thru
> this already.

actually my problem was rather with zexy, since i have currently no
plans to split iemmatrix into individual files (the plans are rather in
the opposite direction: bundle functionality into "helper-files") (sorry
about that...)

> The overall idea sounds good, but why not just use HEX translation for
> just the characters that are not allowed on the filesystems and in C
> functions?   This would keep the filenames and function names human
> readable.  We could do something like HTML entities or C hex with a
> reserved combo of chars to define a special char, something like 0x
> then two digits.  For example:
>
> [mtx_+] == mtx_0x7e.pd_linux == setup_mtx_0x7e()
> [osc~]  == osc0x7e.pd_linux    == setup_osc0x7e
>
> Then to type out "0x" you would just do the hex of "0" and "x" if we
> really wanted that.

this seems to be ok.
so which characters should be escaped then? everything but [a-zA-Z0-9_]
? (i would suggest an implicit definition rather than an explicit one,
since you never know...)

mfg.asd.f
IOhannes