[PD-dev] proposed fix for objects named with +,-,*,^, etc.

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 16 18:34:57 CET 2005

On Nov 16, 2005, at 4:31 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> i admit that the hex-encoding is inefficient (in terms of bits) and
>>> non-readable by humans.
>>> however, it is very simple and consistent.
>> Well, I just ran into the problem while getting iemmatrix objects to
>> compile as individual files, funny enough.  So I guess you've been
>> thru  this already.
>
> actually my problem was rather with zexy, since i have currently no
> plans to split iemmatrix into individual files (the plans are rather
> in the opposite direction: bundle functionality into "helper-files")
> (sorry about that...)

Too late, I already did.  ;)  Check externals/build/src.  What do you
mean by helper files?

>> The overall idea sounds good, but why not just use HEX translation
>> for  just the characters that are not allowed on the filesystems and
>> in C  functions?   This would keep the filenames and function names
>> human  readable.  We could do something like HTML entities or C hex
>> with a  reserved combo of chars to define a special char, something
>> like 0x  then two digits.  For example:
>> [mtx_+] == mtx_0x7e.pd_linux == setup_mtx_0x7e()
>> [osc~]  == osc0x7e.pd_linux    == setup_osc0x7e
>> Then to type out "0x" you would just do the hex of "0" and "x" if we
>> really wanted that.
>
> this seems to be ok.
> so which characters should be escaped then? everything but
> [a-zA-Z0-9_] ? (i would suggest an implicit definition rather than an
> explicit one, since you never know...)

I totally agree, keep it flexible and open.  [a-zA-Z0-9_] sounds good
to me.

It would be nice to have filenames and setup functions treated
separately, so that filenames would remain human-readable.   Filenames
would only need to substitute:

Here's a little breakdown of the relevant filesystems:

http://www.comentum.com/File-Systems-HFS-FAT-UFS.html

____

                             http://at.or.at/hans/