[PD-dev] sys_debuglevel

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Nov 20 11:17:20 CET 2005

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> So I see that sys_debuglevel has been added, but I don't see that its
> used anywhere.  I'd like to use it in my patch to Pd.  Anyone have any
> guidelines to what the levels are?

there are 2 concurrent verbosity switches: sys_debuglevel ("-d <n>"
argument) and sys_verbose("[-v]*" cmdline-arg)

i think that sys_debuglevel is really for debugging pd interna.

for adding verbosity, there is the "-v" switches (for each occurence of
"-v" at the cmdline, the sys_verbose-level is incremented.

this value is used with the verbose()-function (so normally you won't
query this value directly but just call verbose() with a given level
that has to be reached)

there are no guidelines yet (especially iirc since pd itself get's
_very_ verbose at level 2: most of the time too verbose for people not
debugging the dsp-scheduler)

so the current guidelines (that i see, but this is by no means
canonical) are:
level=1: information for debugging patches
level=2: information for debugging schedulers,...

i think this is way too coarse.
at least 3 levels of verbosity (1 for class loading, 1 for object
behaviour, 1 for more verbose object behaviour) might be useful for just
having more information of what is going on and for simple debugging of
patches (without going into pd interna)

mfg.adsr.
IOhannes