[PD-dev] tgrills' alternate loader function

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Wed Nov 23 12:42:04 CET 2005

Hi David,

>>> I just saw the alternate loader patch and really like that idea.
>>> It  would be handy to write externals in any script language too.
>>> Since  IOhannes and I have also just written alternate loaders of
>>> sorts (HEX  and libdir), it would be good to incorporate these two
>>> patches with  yours and get it into the Pd-extended builds to try it
>>> out.
>>>
>> true
>

> What do you guys mean by 'any scripting language'? Do you mean that
> literally, as in one would be able to use python or ruby or perl or
> whatever to write a PD external?!

yes... the problem now is that there has to be a host object (like
pyext) to load a script which then acts like a PD external.
This could be handled much more direct if a scripted external could be
loaded in class scope (as opposed to object scope). You could, for
example, just type [myext.py 1 2 3] to load your Python-scripted myext
external then. Clearly, it's a longer way to get there, but modifying
the class loader is the first step.

best greetings,
Thomas

--