[PD-dev] Passion, fun, elegance, SICP

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Thu Nov 24 11:09:38 CET 2005

On 23 Nov 2005, at 17:46, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
>> I haven't read SICP
>
> Do so now!

I know we have the Kguile object, but bear with me.

I've been reading SICP, and it struck me that it would be an amazing
thing, to be able to have a common PD-scripting language, similar to
the scheme they use in SICP (well, similar or better, whether that
means more or less smalltalky or ruby-esque, whatever).

One of the things I'd like to introduce in teaching PD is to remove the
fear people have of building their own objects if/when they need to,
because of their perception of programming, and of languages like C.

I would be a happy bunny if I could, mid-way through a PD course (I'm
helping to plan such a thing next week), I could introduce PD-scripting
in a more unified way than saying : 'Ok there's py/pyext,
gridflow/ruby, kguile, etc etc etc. Pick one, or read Kernigan C book'.

Has anyone got any ideas on this? I know Davide Morelli wants
(eventually) to create a Lisp interpreter for PD, but I would like to
hear thoughts on what the best route for a unified scripting framework
for PD could be...if there can be such a thing at all?

David Plans Casal
Researcher, UEA Studios
d.casal at uea dot ac dot uk
http://www.davidcasal.com