[PD-dev] -Wall

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Nov 27 19:51:07 CET 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > btw i'm making efforts to "fix" warnings that i get with using "scons
> > wall=1", which turns on "-Wall" in gcc.
> > This is so that new warnings are more easily noticed, and because
> > unused variables make the code more difficult to understand.
>
> well, i once started to work on this, but stopped, after realizing that
> it makes merging the code _much_ more difficult ... please think about
> this, before checking it the core ...

Too late, I've checked it into devel_0_39 several hours ago.

Here's a bit of the chat with Tim on #dataflow:

<matju> tim: however i think that it shouldn't be you doing all the work
<matju> tim: "if i would have worked on a day job during the time i read
diffs, merged files or rewrote things, i could easily afford a fancy
powerbook and a few licenses of max/msp" -- Tim Blechmann

<matju> tim: i propose organising a special dev meeting everytime there is
a merge to do. then we can discuss what to merge and what not to merge and
how it should be done, and by looking at the merge process we'll have a
better overview of the directions both pd's are taking, *and* we will be
able to share the work of merging so that you don't have to do all of it
yourself

<tim> matju: a merging dev meeting would definitely be of some help ...
the best would be to have maintainers for the different parts of pd ... d_
m_ g_ x_ s_ ...  but there are too little people, who are familiar with
the pd source code and who would be willing to work on devel

<matju> tim: i could volunteer for m_* and/or x_*; i'm certainly going to
leave d_* to you; and g_* is out of my scope now; ... i could do s_*
except the #ifdef-ridden crossplatform parts.

<matju> tim: whenever you think it's best to do a merge, just organise a
meeting here, or ask me to organise one

<matju> tim: actually i'll finish handling the warnings and will deal with
the consequences when they come