[PD-dev] Passion, fun, elegance, SICP

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Nov 27 20:33:14 CET 2005

On Nov 27, 2005, at 4:58 AM, David Plans Casal wrote:

> Hi Hans
>
> On 24 Nov 2005, at 19:18, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> There are some efforts along these lines, check the "tgrill's
>> alternate loader" thread on pd-dev.
>
> I participated in that thread, and AFAICT it didn't propose particular
> languages, but rather it is attempting to be able to load objects
> written in -any- language.
>
> I was asking for opinions on what language people would choose to
> teach external object scripting in PD, and whether there was any
> thoughts on a unified scripting language for PD.

The only learning materials that I know of for this is the Externals
HOWTO, which is all about C externals.

>> But why not teach your students to make their own objects in Pd?  You
>> don't need anything outside in order to write your own objects.
>
> Good point, however there are occasions where it is less than possible
> to achieve something in PD itself. Also, in my experience, it
> illustrates the point perfectly, when you are trying to explain that
> PD externals do not necessarily -have- to be written in C, to be able
> to just show people a few lines of faily simple Ruby or Python.
>
> It makes people feel that if they need to go that way, it won't be
> impossibly difficult, IYSWIM.

Yes, that would be nice.  Right now the loader stuff is just the
basics.  It would be great to see a working ruby/etc. loader so that we
could have some objects written in a scripting language without using a
language obj like [py] or [tow]/[widget].