[PD-dev] pixelTANGO, and when a patch needs to know where to look for things...

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Mon Nov 28 16:32:29 CET 2005

Hey all,

As some of you know pixelTANGO dynamically generates an array of
abstractions from a directory. These are a kind of plugin implimented in
a patch (pixelTANGO).

The biggest issue is installing pixelTANGO on multiple operating
systems. Since we need to read the "plugin" directory then we need to
know where it is, which could be:

/applications/blah/contents/extra/fx
/usr/lib/pd/extra/fx

or some horrible path in windows.

Any brilliant ideas on setting these messages in an abstraction from a
hans's package build-system?

The only things I can think of are:

1. Try and use zexy to test the OS and assume we know where the fx/
should be installed. The user would only be able to install it where we
assume...

2. instruct the user to edit the path manually. :(

I really dislike both these options..

Any brilliant ideas about setting this path based on where those fx/ are
actually installed?

(and in case your wondering according to Miller there is indeed no way
of telling where an abstraction is loaded from. (fx/ would be in the
same directory as pt.layerfx.)

Thanks .b.