[PD-dev] removing class_sethelpsymbol() from externals

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 30 03:48:02 CET 2005

On Nov 29, 2005, at 12:28 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> place in the above condition, where its needed.   Here are some
>> libraries affected: ann, chaos, beatpipe, cxc, ekext, ext13, jackx,
>> k_cext, k_jack~, OSC, pidip, signal, sprinkler, svf~ unauthorized,
>> zexy, zhzxh~.
>
> i am not convinced yet that i want to have the helpsymbols removed
> from zexy.
> (this does not mean i am totally against it, but i will need some
> consideration on my side; there's no use arguing with me on that ;-))

Ok, why do you want it still?  Removing it fixes a few problems with
the help files:

- allows the placement and the name of the help patch to be flexible
(i.e. object.pd, object-help.pd, and help-object.pd all work, and from
anywhere in the helppath).

- allows helpfiles to work properly with geiger namespaces:
[mylibrary/myobject] will look for its helpfile with the name
[mylibrary/myobject],  [myobject] will look for the help patch in the
path.  This means that you have have as many [prepend]s in your patch
as you want and all of them will get the correct help file.

>> Here are some that are affected, but maintained outside of the
>> pure-data CVS (therefore I can't change): gridflow, iemmatrix,
>> iemlib.
>
> how comes you think that iemmatrix is maintained outside of the sf-CVS?
> (just because tm is co-author doesn't mean it is)

Ok, didn't know, that's good news.  But I guess I can't make the edits,
right?

>> Here's the sed script for those who want to do it themselves:
>> sed -i.bak 's|class_sethelpsymbol(.*class, *gensym(.*));||' *.c
>
> note that the "-i" flag is GNU-sed only.
> and i didn't know you can use pipe as delimiter for the expression.
> each day you have something to learn ;-)

 From the sed man page: "any character other than a backslash (``\'') or
newline character may be used to delimit the regular expression by
prefixing the first use of that delimiter with a backslash"  ie.
\xabcxdefx turns abc into def.  I think you can also use "s" instead of
the backslash AFAIK.  I looooove regexps!

____

"Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism."
                                                                   -
retired U.S. Army general, William Odom