[PD-dev] SIMD for core Pd objects vs. my crappy C

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Fri Dec 2 00:55:36 CET 2005

Hans-Christoph Steiner schrieb:

> So I just had a thought, perhaps its not an original one.  I was
> thinking that if the core Pd objects were well optimized, using SIMD
> and all that good stuff, then the objects I write in Pd might
> actually  be comparable in speed to the objects I write in plain C
> (I'm no  assembly programmer).

that is largely dependent to what you are doing - there can still be
enormous differences, with or without SIMD.

> So on that topic, how hard would it be to make patches for the SIMD
> stuff that would apply to MSP's sources?

now that quite some time has passed it's a lot of work.
And i don't see the actual merits since Miller has stated a few times
that he doesn't want to incorporate them.

It's no _real_ problem, because within 5-10 years autovectorization
functionalities in all major compilers will take that into account.

best greetings,
Thomas

--
Thomas Grill