[PD-dev] sloppy patches in the patch tracker

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Dec 2 06:48:09 CET 2005

I've noticed that a lot of the patches that are submitted to the patch
tracker are quite sloppy.  This makes them much less likely to be
incorporated into the core.  Here's a couple guidelines which should
help:

- use diff -uw  (-u provides context, which is good for humans and the
patch program.  	-w ignores whitespace changes)

- the patch should only included changes that are relevant.  There
should be no other changes, include whitespace changes in the patch.

- the patch should be for one feature.  It is much easier to figure out
what's what, and then it will less likely be skipped because one
feature in a multi-feature patch was nixed.

Way back at pd~conf, we all agreed to give this a shot, I think it can
really work, but everyone has to do their bit.  Do you think Linux
Torvalds reads sloppy, untested patches?  I think Linux has a well
established model which we can emulate on a smaller scale.

____

                            - Eldridge Cleaver