[PD-dev] Re: Linux-Installer bugfix

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 6 17:21:19 CET 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 7:57 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> attached is a small fix to the externals-build Makefile, which I had
> to do to let Hans' linux-installer compile several externals.
>
> Also attached is another patch which I had to apply to fix the
> scripts/checkout-developer-layout.sh for me.

Great, I am glad you're trying it out.  Please check in your changes
directly, especially for small fixes like these.  It'll save us all
some work.  I can do it if you don't want to.

> Actually I'm trying out the new build system to finally use it to do
> Debian packages using the unified build, which in my view seems like a
> good idea. However I see some issues with that. For one, running curl
> to download stuff from the web while building is not acceptable in a
> Debian package, which has to build without net connection as well.
> (Actually it would be nice to have the Externals-HOWTO in CVS
> anyways.)

Yes, using curl in Makefiles is bad form.  The easy workaround is just
to prepend those lines with a "-" so that errors in those lines will be
ignored.  But yes, a better solution would be to have the Externals
HOWTO in CVS.  Debian packages would be great (as would RPMs, Fink,
etc. etc.).  I tried to make everything modular, so that the various
packaging systems can break up the chunks how they need to.  I was
thinking that there would be a "pd-extended" package which would
include all of abstractions, doc, extensions, and externals, with Gem,
PDP, and GridFlow being separate packages.

> Currently I just disable the curl stuff in the central Makefile.
> (Btw: Some html-generation is using the <font>-tag, which is
> deprecated and even illegal in some dialects of HTML.)

Yeah, that's leftover from the old Mac OS X packages.  Feel free to
change that stuff.

> Then using /usr as a prefix will not install pd in /usr/bin, but still
> in /usr/local/bin. I haven't found out yet, where to change that.

How did you do this?  Which part isn't working?  It should work if you
always do this:

make prefix=/usr install

Both when compiling everything, and when doing the final install, i.e.:

cd packages/linux_make
make prefix=/usr install
cd build
make prefix=/usr install

.hc

> Ciao
> --
>  Frank Barknecht                 _ ______footils.org_ __goto10.org__
> <checkout.patch><installer-externals.patch>

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore