[PD-dev] Re: Linux-Installer bugfix

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 6 19:09:00 CET 2005

Hallo,

> On Dec 6, 2005, at 7:57 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >attached is a small fix to the externals-build Makefile, which I had
> >to do to let Hans' linux-installer compile several externals.
> >
> >Also attached is another patch which I had to apply to fix the
> >scripts/checkout-developer-layout.sh for me.
>
> Great, I am glad you're trying it out.  Please check in your changes
> directly, especially for small fixes like these.  It'll save us all
> some work.  I can do it if you don't want to.

The problem was (or is) that I couldn't run a decent "cvs up" for the
whole day now using my developer account, so I only see the anonymous
version from yesterday currently. I'll check in fixes like that in the
future, if that's okay.

> Yes, using curl in Makefiles is bad form.  The easy workaround is just
> to prepend those lines with a "-" so that errors in those lines will be
> ignored.  But yes, a better solution would be to have the Externals
> HOWTO in CVS.  Debian packages would be great (as would RPMs, Fink,
> etc. etc.).  I tried to make everything modular, so that the various
> packaging systems can break up the chunks how they need to.  I was
> thinking that there would be a "pd-extended" package which would
> include all of abstractions, doc, extensions, and externals, with Gem,
> PDP, and GridFlow being separate packages.

Well, actually I would prefer to split off the pd-core for Debian
packages, so that users, who don't want to use any externals can still
install Pd. This fits with the Debian philosophy of putting extensive
extras and documentation into their own packages. Flext may also be a
special case: techically it is just a library and some headers and
thus could be a libflext/libflext-dev package duo.

> >Currently I just disable the curl stuff in the central Makefile.
> >(Btw: Some html-generation is using the <font>-tag, which is
> >deprecated and even illegal in some dialects of HTML.)
>
> Yeah, that's leftover from the old Mac OS X packages.  Feel free to
> change that stuff.
>
> >Then using /usr as a prefix will not install pd in /usr/bin, but still
> >in /usr/local/bin. I haven't found out yet, where to change that.
>
> How did you do this?  Which part isn't working?  It should work if you
> always do this:
>
> make prefix=/usr install

I'm not yet that far. ;) Currently I just test the first phase, that
is, building everything in packages/linux_make/build, so no "make
install" happens yet.  This is, because later the binaries in
packages/linux_make/build will be moved into the actually Debian
packages by the Debian package management tools. Doing this
"non-instalL", the pd binary files show up in
packages/linux_make/build/usr/local/bin

So actually what I want to do is a kind of:
$ make prefix=/usr DESTDIR=debian/build install
which installs everything into packages/debian/build under the tree
"/usr"

Do you have any idea, how this could be done?

> Both when compiling everything, and when doing the final install, i.e.:
>
> cd packages/linux_make
> make prefix=/usr install
> cd build
> make prefix=/usr install

I'm not sure I understand this: do I have to run "make install" in
"build" as well?

Ciao