[PD-dev] Re: Linux-Installer bugfix

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 7 17:09:07 CET 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 6:58 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> What I meant is that pd-extended would be a debian package with
>> everything but Pd itself in it.  Then you would be free to install
>> pd-extended in combo with the Pd of your choosing.  There would be
>> some
>> problems with compatibility with some of the features of pd-devel if
>> externals are using them, but other wise it would work.  Maybe there
>> could be a debian package of just all of the Pd-based files, like
>> abstractions and doc, then the compiled stuff would be separate.
>
> Which reminds me: Debian's policy handles documentation in some
> special way, which I need to read up on, but things like html-docs,
> pdf-Howtos etc. should be in /usr/share/doc/pd-something, whereas we
> can keep the patches in /usr/lib/pd/doc. Moving the files with
> Debian's package tools is easy, however if they are called from Pd
> (like the html-manual) we need to take special care. Though, for now I
> would be happy to get a current package of pd with externals running,
> wherever the docs show up in the end.

Ultimately, it would be a good idea to have all the txt, HTML, pdf,
etc. in /usr/share/doc/pd-something, but until we have a real
help-browser solution worked out, we have the Help menu.  And for that
to work, all of the docs have to be in one directory, and
/usr/lib/pd/doc makes the most sense for now.

But once we have a help browser, it should be pretty easy to create a
build with the txt,html,pdf, etc. stuff separate.  You would just
define $(manualsdir) from the command line, like:

export DESTDIR=/path/to/build/
make prefix=/usr DESTDIR=$DESTDIR
manualsdir=$DESTDIR/usr/share/doc/pd-something install

____

publicity.

                      - Bill Moyers