[PD-dev] Re: PD-cvs Digest, Vol 10, Issue 15

c yaqtil at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 08:59:11 CET 2005

> Staying in sync sounds good to me.  But I think that since
> portaudio/portmidi are not stable APIs and still alpha/beta code, we
> should maintain a copy in CVS.

portaudio/midi is fairly stable and not under particularly active
development now that it supports everything people actually use like
coreaudio alsa and mme/ds/asio - i wouldnt classify it under
alpha/beta status even v19.. anyways it's a seperate project and
should not be in the pure-data CVS, it has its own..

for PD, i suggest we move to darcs. it seems particularly well suited
to the current situation where each developer more or less has their
own version, may ease intra-branch feature stealing/merging and its
underlying theory may even satisfy the sourceforge-patch-tracker
fetishists:

(from http://osdir.com/Article2571.phtml )David Roundy: At its most
basic level, the theory of patches is about the commutation, or
reordering, of changes in such a way that their meaning doesn't
change. Once the commutation primitives have been worked out, one can
do all sorts of interesting (and useful) operations, such as merging.
And such operations can be shown to be independent of order, i.e. it
doesn't matter whether you merge patch A or patch B first, you'll get
the same result. Another result of the design based on inexact
patching is that you can, for example, cherrypick a change that
modifies a file without first getting the change that *creates* the
file

the "Theory of Patches" is described in further detail @
http://abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/node8.html