[PD-dev] desire OSX

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Fri Dec 16 16:11:20 CET 2005

On Dec 16, 2005, at 7:27 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Dec 15, 2005, at 1:17 PM, james tittle wrote:
>>> matju (or anyone else working on desire),
>
> I didn't receive your message. pd-dev seems to eat some once in a
> while.
>
>>> set $OS $tcl_platform(platform)
>>> isn't fine grained enough for our purposes, but would be better
>>> if it were:
>>> set $OS $tcl_platform(os)
>>> ...doing that, $OS is set to Darwin here, but with (platform) I
>>> also get
>>> unix, which isn't very specific 8-\
>> Actually, I think you need a combo of both  $tcl_platform
>> (platform) and
>> $tcl_platform(os) to cover all the supported situations.  This is
>> what is at
>> the top of u_main.tk:
>> if { $tcl_platform(platform) == "windows" }  {
>>          set pd_nt 1
>> } elseif { $tcl_platform(os) == "Darwin" } {
>>          set pd_nt 2
>> } else {
>>          set pd_nt 0
>> }
>
> Yes, it should the the way that Hans says, but making those changes:
>
>   set pd_nt 0  ->  set OS unix
>   set pd_nt 1  ->  set OS windows
>   set pd_nt 2  ->  set OS osx
>
> To fit the actual code in desire.tk

...either way sounds fine with me...

>>> [gdb] (gdb) (gdb) Starting program:  -guiport 13666
>>> ...but then it doesn't go any further:
>
> It's supposed to continue like this:
>
> [gdb] [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
> [gdb] [New Thread 1079372000 (LWP 11740)]
>
> If it doesn't, then try starting desire.tk with option -nogdb and
> if it
> doesn't cut it either then try starting _regular_ puredata (devel or
> pureMSP) with -guiport just in case there's a bug that makes it
> hang on
> OSX.

...it got a lot further with the -nogdb option after I added:

     switch $OS {
       Darwin {
         set pd [string map {MacOS/desireData Resources/bin/pd} [info
nameofexecutable]]
         exec $pd -guiport $server_port &
       }
       default {
	    exec pd -guiport $server_port &
	  }
	}

...I assume this isn't a good fix, but just a hack to get past this
point...anyway, here's the output on launch:

DesireData 0.39.ATcl 8.5, Tk 8.5
tcl_platform(osVersion) = 8.3.0
tcl_platform(byteOrder) = bigEndian
tcl_platform(threaded) = 1
tcl_platform(machine) = Power Macintosh
tcl_platform(platform) = unix
tcl_platform(os) = Darwin
tcl_platform(user) = tigital
tcl_platform(wordSize) = 4
thing
files_to_open=''
canvas_notice(0x6158e0,0x615380,1,...): havewindow=0 mapped=0

canvas_notice(0x615b00,0x615ab0,1,...): havewindow=0 mapped=0

canvas_notice(0x615b00,0x615e10,1,...): havewindow=0 mapped=0

reading startup file: /Users/tigital/.pdrc

startup args from RC file:

-outchannels

2

input channels = 0, output channels = 0

input channels = 0, output channels = 0

...and of course a ton of stuff is spewed into the terminal, but I'll
leave that for another time...notably I can't create new windows, but
I can open a window that is mostly offscreen to the top left...but at
least the menu's are more fully filled out :-)

> I think that this might be the problem, but I haven't fixed it yet.
> The
> way I want it, desire.tk will get installed in the main bin along
> with pd
> (by "main" I mean not the lib/pd/bin/ backhouse). It would then try to
> load pd from the same directory as itself instead of PATH. does
> that make
> sense?

...this sounds like exactly the same situation as the app bundle:
everything goes into Contents/Resources/bin, except for the wish
shell...

james