[PD-dev] Re: PD-cvs Digest, Vol 10, Issue 15

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Dec 16 20:08:38 CET 2005

On Dec 16, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>>> what? the portaudio api's 1 and 2 are perfectly defined, there is
>>> absolute no need to keep a copy ...
>>
>> That is far from the only reason to keep a copy in
>
> and i stated my arguments ...
>
> this discussion won't have a solution ... do whatever you want with
> miller's pd ... i don't care if you check in the latest pa12
> release or whatever ... pd has bigger problems, than the placement of
> external sources ...
>
> just keep all external sources out of devel ...

This is exactly the reason why I am unwilling to work on pd-devel.  I
have spent far too long on build systems and creating cross-platform
packages that actually work.  I have yet to see a downloadable binary
that works for pd-devel since I stopped doing it at devel_0_37.  I have
zero interest in applying my knowledge when all I get in return is
hostility. But its all free software, so feel free to do so yourself.

The bottom line is that the Pd source code is messy, we all know that.
And we have to live with it.  Its a big project, there are dozens of
developers, so change is inevitably slow.  But personally I think that
getting our code out to people who want to use it is actually very
important, and I am willing to compromise in other things in order to
achieve that.

> --
> mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
> http://www.mokabar.tk
>
> latest mp3: kMW.mp3
> http://mattin.org/mp3.html
>
> latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
> http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/
>
> After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space
> would say "I want to see the manager."
> 				      William S. Burroughs

____

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!