[PD-dev] Re: PD-cvs Digest, Vol 10, Issue 15

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Dec 17 01:01:39 CET 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> My first impression of scons is that its much slower than
> configure/make, probably because it does a lot of stuff automatically.
> From my perspective, this really sucks when having to tweak the
> Pd-extended build on three different computers.
> In a fresh CVS checkout of 0.38.4, autoconf && ./configure && make took a
> total of 34 seconds.
> In a fresh CVS checkotu of pd devel_0_38, after waiting 14 minutes, 8 seconds,
> I got this:

I have a problem with scons, in that it tries to scan a lot of directories
it shouldn't scan, especially all of $HOME recursively if you use
prefix=$HOME (or all of /usr if you use prefix=/usr). I think that this is
the most annoying thing with scons. I think I've had other problems with
it but I don't recall what they were.